Azim Premji Foundation (APF) has partnered with the Dept of Education, Govt of Karnataka to form the Policy Planning Unit in order to improve the quality of elementary education in the State. The Educational Leadership Development Programme (ELDP) is one of the initiatives of this unit, aimed at augmenting the leadership and management skills of the officials in the department – at cluster, block and district levels. Under this initiative, C-LAMPS, a partner of APF has trained about 75 master trainers called Educational Leadership Development Facilitators (ELDFs), who in turn have trained about 2800 department personnel such as Cluster Resource Persons (CRPs) and Block Resource Persons (BRPs). CRPs and BRPs are encouraged to undertake Quality Improvement Projects (QIPs) under the guidance of ELDFs in schools within their cluster/block. ELDFs document the QIPs that are undertaken under their guidance, in the form of written narratives. These documents / narratives capture the context, process, impact and of the QIPs and the reflections of participants. The current study is a qualitative analysis of such narratives, aimed at understanding the process of QIPs and validating the theoretical principles of the ELDP from it.
- Policy Planning Unit, Office of the Commissioner of Public Instruction, Govt. of Karnataka
- Centre for Leadership and Management in Public Services (C-LAMPS), Bangalore
Key outputs during the year
- The researchers visited selected schools in 5 districts where QIPs were implemented, interacted with the ELDFs and the trainees, and understood how the ELDP operates. They submitted a field-visit report to the donor agency.
- The researchers attended a one-day workshop on qualitative analysis, conducted at C-LAMPS, Bangalore. Prof. Satish Kumar, Dean of School of Public Health, SRM University, Chennai was the resource person for the workshop. The researchers learned about the various techniques of data cleaning, coding and analysis, and the softwares & tools used in the process. They also received hands-on training in analyzing the narratives with sample datasets.
- They have developed a theoretical framework for doing the analysis and have started the coding process.